Landscape lighting is an easy way to make your house look just as beautiful at night as it does during the day, adding illumination to walkways or around trees and plants. But it has many benefits besides giving your home an aesthetic appeal. Some common types and places for landscape lighting are:
- Deck lights on decks and patios
- Bollard lights near driveways, sidewalks, and steps
- Architectural lighting near the front entry
- Moonlighting to focus on trees and plants
- Flood lights to focus on pools or other water features
Landscape lighting design can be used anywhere in your yard to allow your house to remain brightly lit no matter what time of the day. To give you a better idea of why you might want to use landscape lighting, here’s a quick list of pros and cons to consider.
Pros of Landscape Lighting
- Safety. Walking, running, or playing in the dark can be unsafe. People can trip, fall, or have other accidents that may cause injuries. Landscape lighting will allow you, your family, and guests to safely wander around outside.
- Security. A well-lit area will keep burglars away and allow you to keep an eye on what goes on in your yard. It also allows you to keep an eye on any guests or children outside.
- Easy Management. Much like the interior of your home, outside lighting can be easy to turn on and off. You can keep your home looking beautiful 24 hours a day with minimal effort by using dimmers or timers for your landscape lighting.
- Minimal Maintenance. Routine upkeep will keep your landscape lighting shining brightly. Make sure to replace any burned-out light bulbs as soon as you notice them and keep leaves, twigs, and anything else off of your light fixtures. Always check for exposed or damaged cables.
- Aesthetics. Landscape lighting design can accentuate the beauty of your home. Using different types of lights and even different colored lights will show off the beauty of your home even in the dark.
- Usage. Do you have a great back patio or porch that you never use after dark? Well, with landscaping lighting, the party doesn’t have to end when the sun goes down. Keep your yard well-lit to entertain guests in the evening.
Cons of Landscape Lighting
- Electrical access. If you don’t have convenient outlets or other electrical access outside, you may have to have some installed before setting up your landscape lighting.
- Electricity cost increase. Adding more lights means will most likely mean an increase in your electricity bill.
Landscape lighting design can be used anywhere in your yard to allow your house to remain brightly lit no matter what time of the day.